[SOURCE ] According to their website,www.circleofpromise.org, Circle of Promise is a movement designed to further engage black women around the globe in the fight against breast cancer. This initiative of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Race for the Cure fund is mobilizing black women and equipping them with the information necessary to fight breast cancer in their communities.
African-American women are dying from breast cancer more than any other racial group according to statistics. Researchers believe that the reason for this is not genetics or anatomy but the fact that many black women are uninformed about the realities of the sickness or cannot afford mammograms.
Some facts on breast cancer in the black community:
1. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among African American women.
2. Breast cancer is the second most common cause of cancer deaths among African American women.
3. Although African American women are diagnosed with breast cancer less often than their counterparts, the mortality rate is higher.
4. African American women tend to have factors that influence a poorer prognosis such as later stage diagnosis, higher grade and hormone receptor negative status (Triple Negative).
5. By 2007, African American women had a 41 percent higher death rate than white women.
6. The higher mortality rate in African American women may be related to differences in access to and utilization of early detection and treatment and differences in tumor characteristics.
For information on ways that you can support this organization, check out:http://www.circleofpromise.org/